The Wayne County, Indiana Democratic Party seeks to hire an Executive Director to strengthen and expand the organization’s operations, outreach and advocacy in the Wayne County area.
- Position Type: Contract, Part Time, Approximately 20 hours per week
- Location: Wayne County, Indiana and remote
- Term: 2-year initial term with possibility for extension
- Reports to: Party Chair
- Compensation: $26,000 per year
Primary position responsibilities include:
- Coordinating and maximizing the efforts of a diverse pool of volunteers with varying levels of skill and experience across the community
- Convening strategy and planning meetings, clarifying ownership, action steps and timelines on resulting plans, and following up with stakeholders to ensure meaningful, measurable progress
- Researching, tracking, reporting on and creating action around legislative, electoral and governmental activities that affect the organization, our candidates and our members
- Networking with other community leaders, organizations and groups to increase the organization’s profile and invite new involvement and engagement
- Planning and executing fundraising events and campaigns
- Representing the organization’s interests and values within the community and specifically to donors, candidates, elected officials and the news media
- Facilitating communications and collaboration within the organization and between the organization and our partners at the local, district and state levels
- Updating, maintaining and monitoring analytics for the organization’s website and social media presence
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will:
- Be self-directed with the ability to work independently on multiple projects in various stages of completion, and provide the initiative required to complete them successfully.
- Be a strategic thinker, and able to translate high level goals into a concrete plan of work with measurable results.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills along with excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Have strong conflict resolution skills, and experience facilitating productive conversation within diverse groups that sometimes have competing interests.
- Be passionate about advancing Democratic party values including job creation, equal pay, quality public education, affordable access to healthcare, sustainable energy use and fair housing practices.
- Have experience working with political organizations, issue advocacy, community organizing or similar kinds of campaigns and projects at a local and regional level.
- Be very proficient using technology tools and services to communicate, collaborate and deliver, including email, Google Docs/Sheets or similar office suites, Slack, mobile apps, WordPress or other content management tools, Mailchimp or other email marketing tools, social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, CRM tools and databases, and virtual phone systems.
- Live in or near Richmond, Indiana with the ability to travel to locations around Wayne County.
Even if you don’t have all of the skills and experience listed here, we still encourage you to apply if you feel passionate about providing political leadership and your background and interests line up well with the position as a whole.
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our party members and leadership, and of elected officials in our community. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups of people.
The Executive Director will have the flexibility to work from home or other locations of their choosing as long as they have access to a fast, reliable internet connection and a modern desktop or laptop computer with audio and video conference capabilities. The organization does not currently have an office space. Note that some events and meetings may take place during evenings and weekends, outside of traditional business hours.
Compensation and Benefits
- $26,000 per year, paid monthly
- 2 weeks of paid time off
- As a part-time, contract position, we are currently unable to offer other benefits
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The hiring process for invited applicants may consist of:
- An initial interview conducted via Slack, Zoom or in person
- A paid, short-term project where we collaborate with you on a task similar to the kinds of tasks you would take on if hired
- Follow-up interviews and conversations with party and community stakeholders
- Reference checks
To apply for the Executive Director position, please review the entire position description as well as the other information available on this website about the party, our values and our goals.
Then, please email the following information to info (at) waynecountydemocrats (dot) com with the exact subject line “WCDP Executive Director Position”
- A concise introduction of you, your background and your interest in the position, included in the email message body
- A PDF attachment of your resume that lists relevant professional, volunteer and personal experience
- Include your first and last name, LinkedIn profile URL and phone number somewhere in your message
We will respond to all applications that follow these instructions.
Thank you for your interest!